Take the Plastic Free July challenge
It’s July already! And for those of us concerned with protecting our planet that means taking the Plastic Free July challenge. But it’s not just for hardcore eco warriors – a massive 250 million people worldwide took part in Plastic Free July 2019 – demonstrating that all of us has a role to play in being part of the solution.
The first July campaign ran in 2011 as a local initiative in Western Australia and has rapidly grown into a global movement to reduce the amount of plastic ending up in landfill and polluting our oceans. Today, Plastic Free July is a key initiative of the Plastic Free Foundation.
Plastic Free July encourages individuals and businesses to change their behavior in favour of avoiding single-use plastics and reducing plastic waste. No matter who you are or where you live, you’re empowered to make a difference, share ideas and inspire a global change. Sign up to take challenge here: plasticfreejuly.org
If you’re not sure what plastics you can change, the Plastic Free July team have created a ‘Pesky Plastics Quiz’, which takes less than 5 minutes and will help you identify where plastics are sneaking into your shopping and everyday life.
The good news is that the challenge is not about drastic lifestyle change. It is just about being more conscious of the single-use plastics that you use day-to-day and taking small steps to refuse them. There is no failing with Plastic Free July; anything you choose to refuse is a win!
For tips on how you can reduce plastic waste visit: plasticfreejuly.org/get-involved/what-you-can-do/category/getting-started/
Simple steps to be part of Plastic Free July
- Notice the plastics in your life. Start by looking in your fridge, cupboards, and bins. You can also take the Pesky Plastics Quiz.
- Decide on one or two items to changeand start with them.
- Sign up to the challenge at plasticfreejuly.org
- Share your resolveand encourage your family, school, community and friends to sign up too.
- Receive support via the Plastic Free July newsletters and social media communications.