Iconic tourist attraction chooses eco-friendly retail options
The Waitomo glow worm caves deliver a bit of magic, nature and adventure to visitors exploring the underground, natural wonderland. The caves are widely recognised as one of New Zealand’s best natural attractions where visitors can go caving, black water rafting, boat riding, trail running, and even zip-lining underground.
Discover Waitomo (part of Tourism Holdings Ltd) are the operators behind the Waitomo Glowworm Cave, the Ruakuri Cave and the Aranui Cave attractions. They’re serious about environment and sustainability, and they see themselves as kaitiaki (caretakers) of this unique and precious place.
As kaitiaki of this unique cave and karst landscape, Discover Waitomo are committed to:
- Planting and fencing to exclude livestock, enhancing the Waitomo catchment and its awa (waterways/gorge)
- Partnering with DOC in pest eradication, benefiting biodiversity
- Helping manuhiri (visitors) reduce their carbon footprint, by offering souvenirs 'good for a lifetime'
- Eliminating single-use plastics and reducing waste generation
- Educating manuhiri (visitors) on all of the above and making their visit to Aotearoa safe and memorable
When you visit the gift shop you’ll notice their so environmental ethos is reinforced in the reusable giftware offered. And you’ll receive your purchases in one of our Ecopack compostable retail bags.
Discover Waitomo were one of the early adopters of compostable bags. They have been providing their customer’s with punched handle compostable retail bags since 2013. These bags contain GMO-free cornstarch and are certified for both home and commercial composting.